Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tsunami

kauai day 2-43

We woke up to air sirens at 6am this morning. Shortly after, had a phone call suggesting we pack a bag and some food and head to Lihue to higher ground. A Tsunami is expected to hit the islands at about 11am Hawaiian time, which is 2pm Edmonton time. We are still waiting in our condo as some reports tell us to leave and others say to stay put. We are not in the evacuation zone, but are about a ten minute walk to the beach. Some have left to go get more information from a big hotel nearby. Most people have packed up and headed out to Lihue. Our rental manager asked us to pray for the islands. They really don't know what to expect in magnitude at this point. The Tsunami will hit The Big Island first and then Kauai about 50 minutes later.

kauai day 2-32

I decided to post some pictures while we sit around and wait.... we are all very burnt and have never burnt like this before! Josiah has blisters on his face and Micah's eyes are swollen. So I figured posting in Black and White would look better. We had decided we would be staying out of the sun today and now we have no choice as the beaches are closed, the stores are closed and well.... everything is closed or soon to be closed.

kauai day 2-31

Of course, I would love to be able to watch it all happen, but I won't! I would love to take pictures, but I won't!

kauai day 2-29

kauai day 2-45

kauai day 2-19

kauai day 2-11

I will try to update and let people know what actually happens. Keep us and everyone in Hawaii in your prayers!

3 comments:

Denise said...

We'll be praying! Not really the kind of excitement you want on a holiday. I'll check back often to see if there is an update. (ps - you guys all look great, sorry to hear about the sunburns though. That's not fun).

Colin and Jill Canada said...

Oh I'm so glad you're all okay. I've been thinking about you all day.

The photo's are just fabulous. I love the black and white.

You're beautiful Paige!

Jill

The Denis Family said...

I have been thinking about you and praying for you today! Thanks for the update! Hope you still get to enjoy your time away!