Thursday, March 18, 2010

Getting into High School

abby-09

In Edmonton, getting into the high school you want, can be a huge pain and just a little stressful! Everybody has a designated high school they can go to (ours is not a good school and my children will not be going there). Or you can apply to go to another high school that offers more of what you might be interested in (sports, science, etc.). Some schools accept students based on marks and skills, some do a random draw of the applications.

abby-04

Abby is very strong academically, especially in math and science. She is choosing between two high schools. One with an AP program and one with partial AP and a science first program. One she could likely get into easily (based on her marks) and the other is a draw. Guess which one she wants? The draw.

abby-07

This stresses me out. I want her to go to this school as well, but if she doesn't get in, then what do we do? You can only apply to one school, if you don't get in, you have to go to your designated school. That won't be happening. It is a huge risk. I guess we will see what happens and go from there.

5 comments:

Colin and Jill Canada said...

Oh my how stressful.

You see I imagine this is one of the real aspects of parenting, and this is how I imagine 'real' parenting to feel.

Right now I consider myself just parenting the 'fluffy stuff' in comparison to this!

Jill

Douglas said...

Actually, once you get rejected by one school you can try at another one, but the risk is that it will be full by then. That happened with Nick and he did get into his second choice which was not our designated school. But, I agree with you - very stressful.

Douglas said...

That last comment was by Nancy and not Doug, just to clarify!!!

Melanie said...

Phew!! I was hoping the forced attendance post-draw wasn't, well, forced. I can't imagine her in a crappy school. And I do NOT envy you this stress and waiting. What an awful ride!

I'm with Jill - I think I'll do ok with the fluffy stuff. It's this other business I'll go gray on! ;)

Denise said...

Yikes, that sounds a little like playing the lottery - with your kid's future! I hope it all goes the way you want it to.