Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Secret Daughter



I am posting about another book I have just finished reading. I know a lot of you actually go and read some of the books that I talk about... so I figured I would keep posting my favorites.

This is a fictional story about adoption. Although, the story is about an adoption out of India, I felt that so much of the feelings from the birth mother, the daughter and the adoptive mother, related in so many ways to adoptions out of China. The feelings a young birth mother faces throughout her entire life after "being forced" to give up her baby girl, because of poverty, gender and tradition. The feelings of an adoptive mother who always second guesses every feeling and interaction with her daughter. The feelings of the adopted child as she grows and tries to figure out where she came from and where she fits in.

"At some point, the family you create is more important than the family you are born into..." The words to the daughter by her adoptive grandfather.

2 comments:

Colin and Jill Canada said...

The quote you put on, what the grandfather said...isn't it so true about any of our lives.

You very much make the life you have and live. I think moving to Canada and away from all my family made me so much more aware of this.

The book sounds like a must read. Thanks for posting about it.

Jill

Denise said...

I just checked my library for this book, but I'd be 12th on the list! Guess I'll just go out and buy it :)