Monday, May 24, 2010

May 25, 2010 - One Year with Lilah

Adoption, has touched us like nothing has touched us before. I wish everyone could experience what we have experienced in this process. I met my husband 21 years ago... that was an amazing experience. I have given birth to four children... I loved being pregnant. I loved giving birth. I loved every moment being a mother. Words cannot express the love a mother has for her children. A mother once told her daughter, "you will never understand how much I love you, until you have a child of your own." How true this is. It is a love only a mother can understand.

And then there is adoption. It is hard. Very hard. Very challenging. No one can understand the time is takes to apply to adopt. No one can understand the emotional rollercoaster that adoption can bring upon a person. I loved my daughter the minute I saw her picture. God made it very clear that she was the one. God made it very clear, right from the beginning, that it was time for us to adopt. God led us to China. God led us to a daughter.

Then we held her in our arms. And it was hard. It was emotional. My husband and I fought. My daughter rejected me.

But here we are at one year with Lilah. I cannot tell you how much this child, how much this experience has blessed us. What a blessing she is to our family! We have grown through this experience in ways we can't even imagine. We have seen our children love this child in a way that is unexplainable in words. My husband and I have found an even deeper love and respect for each other than we ever imagined. And that love has extended to our children and this large family that we have created. We have found a love for a country that is half way around the world. It has forever touched our lives. Our daughter is from there. Her biological family is from there. She has a mother there who thinks about her and wonders about her. But she also has me. I am blessed to call her mine. I am blessed to call her my daughter.

I know that everybody has to make their own choice when it comes to adoption. A "special needs" child or a "healthy" child. All I can say is.... THEY ARE ALL CHILDREN. When it comes down to it, they are just little people. My daughter is so smart. She is full of personality and she is stronger than anyone I know. She has been through so much, I can't even understand... all I know is that she has changed our lives. And through the grace of God, she is all ours.

You will need to scroll to the bottom and turn off the music before you view this video.

video

14 comments:

Canada to China and back! said...

Oh Paige! You have me bawling! Such a beautiful journey! You are all so blessed to have one another.
Hmmpf....now I have to go reapply my makeup:0) Happy One Year with Lilah!
Hugs,
Kim

The Denis Family said...

Amazing how much can change in only one year! Lilah has blossomed and grown so much! Love can indeed move mountains!

Kim

myra said...

So sweet! It is amazing what can happen in a year! It makes me excited for the year ahead.

Happy Gotcha Day!

Denise said...

Alright, I was already feeling a little weepy today - this just did me in! It's a great encouragement to those of us on this journey again. That it's worth all the crap we go through to get our kids home. Lilah has grown into such a beautiful little blessing.

Charlotte said...

Gramma has tears rolling down her cheeks too....so many mixed emotions. Love to you all.

Marie said...

Amen! You took the words right out of my heart! What a wonderful blessing Lilah is! May your family continue to love each other and grow closer and closer! God Bless!

Dixie-Lee said...

Absolutely beautiful Paige. Even made "Auntie" shed a few tears. I can't wait to see you and your beautiful family again at the end of September.

The Drinkwaters said...

Thinking about you all today, and remembering one year ago!

Colin and Jill Canada said...

I'm choking back the tears here. This post is just lovely.

Happy one year forever family anniversary.

Words don't do justice as to how amazing the journey of adoption is. God's fingerprints are all over it, and that's what makes it so special.

Jill

erin said...

Thank you for this window into your life. It means so much to be able to be inspired by the journey you've gone on.... I couldn't stop the tears!

Christine said...

You are a blessed family indeed. God has lead you to each other. Happy anniversary of your family day.

Wonderful!

Christine

Mamá Gringa said...

Just beautiful, Paige. Congratulations on one year together. :))

Monica said...

What a beautiful video, Paige! I'm in tears seeing you with Lilah and hearing from your heart. Thank you so much for sharing!
Blessings,
Monica

Mommy said...

Paige,

I am sitting here crying tears of joy. I could have written most of your post--the waiting--the excitement--the heartbreak--the rejection--the healing. I can't wait to see where we are at the end of our year together. You have been such a blessing to me over the past year! Happy Mei-Mei-aversary Lilah. You are soo loved by many!