Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back to School

DSC_0015-2

I think I was more stressed out about today than my kids were.

DSC_0009-2

The boys were going back to the same school and so they were fine and very excited. I think Micah was a little nervous and because I had to drive Abby to her new school, I couldn't meet him at his and get him settled. Eli said he would take care of him and help him find his classroom and teacher. I did run by his school to see that he had found his way to his classroom and he had and was sitting there as they went through the massive amount of supplies they had to all bring! I have been praying throughout the summer for great teachers for my kids... especially for the boys, as I feel many teachers don't know how to handle boys. Micah has a new-to-the-school-this-year teacher, so we will see.

DSC_0006-2

Yesterday, I registered Abby for High School. Just being back in that environment brought back nightmares! She kept saying to me this morning, "Mom, I will be fine... I will be fine." And she will, she didn't seem too nervous! Volleyball tryouts are right after school, so hopefully, she will make the team and she can connect with some new friends that way.

DSC_0026

It was a bit strange for me yesterday, that I registered one kid for High School and bought a car seat for another. I also realized that when Abby starts her first year of University, Lilah and Zoe will be entering grade one. Kind of makes me feel young... or maybe old???

A Mom's Prayer On the First Day of School

Here we are again, Lord. Their backpacks are loaded and their faces are scrubbed and their lunch accounts are full.

And I know you'll walk with them, Lord. You always do. But a mom still has to ask.

Will You walk with them? Will You whisper to them what they need to hear, when I'm not there to whisper it?

Will You please, oh please, cover their school with the protection only You can give, and will You keep harm far away?

Will You make their minds strong and ready to learn? Will You help them understand that hard work honors the One who created them?

Will You guide their teachers, giving them patience and wisdom and creativity and more patience? Will You bless them for their efforts?

Will You love all those children there, the ones whose lunch accounts aren't full, the ones who feel alone? Will You teach my children to be kind and unselfish and to love those who are different from them?

Will You point them back toward home just as soon as you can?

Lord, I give them to You today and everyday, trusting them to Your care.

Amen.

6 comments:

Colin and Jill Canada said...

Goodness Paige. That prayer had me SO choked up. I simply dread the day I have to send my girl out into the big world.

I love Eli's hair! It's really lightened with the summer too.

Jill

Denise said...

I loved that prayer... so good to be able to send them out with that spiritual covering

Marie said...

You're not old at all! Kids just grow up way too fast. Having a larger age range in kids is great...I think it keeps us young, and spunky,and energetic and...well the list goes on and on!

The Drinkwaters said...

I hope all the older kids had a wonderful first day back at school, and that you and Lilah didn't miss them too much!

Beth said...

Wow, sending that many different ways must be stressful. I'm sure they'll settle in and you'll feel better. I meant to tell you that our neighbour next door is at Strathcona and perhaps somehow they can hook up. She's a very nice girl, and seems to have the same work ethic as Abby. Her name is Janelle and she's a tiny little thing(if she's looking to identify her at all) - perhaps Abby will run into her. I'll mention Abby to Janelle and we'll see. Hope all was well.

Jody said...

I would say the age gap between your daughters makes you YOUNG!! And you will stay young because of the little ones!!