Friday, September 3, 2010

Dill Pickles

DSC_0016-1

DSC_0014

DSC_0003

Today, Lilah and I spent time making dill pickles. This recipe has been passed down through the generations and usually it is my mom who makes the pickles, but because my kids will eat them like it will be their last chance, I decided to make us some.

DSC_0013-4

This recipe is so simple and they are the best pickles ever!

Oma's Dill Pickles:

Fill clean mason jars with fresh dill, two cloves of garlic, one red chili pepper and small cukes. Boil together 4 cups vinegar, 12 cups of water and one cup of coarse salt. Pour this into the jars until the cukes are completely covered. Put on lids and place in a 200 degree oven for 20 minutes.

After three days... ENJOY!


DSC_0003-4

7 comments:

Shawna said...

Looks yummy!

Colin and Jill Canada said...

My goodness, I'm SO impressed...because I have never in my life done anything like this. You even make it sound easy!

These look amazing. Great pictures.

Jill

Denise said...

Yumm! And sounds easy enough - I might just have to give it a try.

Marie said...

I've never heard of dills with the peppers...will have to try it.

teresa said...

I'm not a huge fan of pickles (although I do like them a little sweet) but after reading this post, I dreamt about them last night and woke up thinking I needed to make them!

Monica said...

Beautiful photos! Those dills do sound yummy. I'm intrigued by the red chili pepper. Thx for sharing the recipe!

Monica said...

Beautiful photos! Those dills do sound yummy. I'm intrigued by the red chili pepper. Thx for sharing the recipe!