Friday, September 24, 2010

Sad Little Dumplings...



Today I attempted to make pork dumplings. They didn't turn out too bad... but were a lot of work and are a bit bigger than they should be. But they do taste really good! I felt like I was making perogies and it seemed like my Ukrainian side was coming out.

Dough:
3 cups all-purpose flour
up to 1 1/4 cups cold water
1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling:
1 cup ground pork or beef
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 TBSP Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, or to taste
3 TBSP sesame oil
1/2 green onion, finely minced
1 1/2 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage
4 tablespoons diced water chestnuts
4 tablespoons diced carrots
2 slices fresh ginger, finely minced
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced

Preparation:
Stir the salt into the flour. Slowly stir in the cold water, adding as much as is necessary to form a smooth dough. Don't add more water than is necessary. Knead the dough into a smooth ball. Cover the dough and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.

While the dough is resting, prepare the filling ingredients. Add the soy sauce, salt, rice wine and white pepper to the meat, stirring in only one direction. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring in the same direction, and mix well.

To make the dumpling dough: knead the dough until it forms a smooth ball. Divide the dough into 60 pieces. Roll each piece out into a circle about 3-inches in diameter.

Place a small portion (about 1 level tablespoon) of the filling into the middle of each wrapper. Wet the edges of the dumpling with water. Fold the dough over the filling into a half moon shape and pinch the edges to seal. Continue with the remainder of the dumplings.

To cook, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add half the dumplings, giving them a gentle stir so they don't stick together. Bring the water to a boil, and add 1/2 cup of cold water. Cover and repeat. When the dumplings come to a boil for a third time, they are ready. Drain and remove. If desired, they can be pan-fried at this point.

Dipping Sauce:

2 TBSP of Soy Sauce
1 TBSP of Rice Wine Vinegar
1/4 tsp of minced garlic
1/4 tsp of minced ginger root
1/2 tsp of sugar
4-8 drops of Hot Chili Oil


Not sure if I would make these again, when there is a dumpling restaurant just down the street. But it was fun to try them!



Yesterday, we made Fingerkalotshi. It was my version of a moon cake! So once again, I felt like I was mixing the Chinese and the Mennonite cultures. They do taste much better than moon cakes, probably because of it is all sugar and butter.

1 lb. butter
3/4 cup sugar -- Mix these together, on and off, for about an hour.
Add vanilla and 2 1/4 cups of flour.

Roll into little balls.
Place on baking sheet. Make little dents and put raspberry jam in each dent before baking. Bake at 325 degrees for 12 minutes.




We have also received our Travel Approval! It took only three weeks to come and we are now completely ready to go. This, for me, is the most exciting piece of paperwork, because it means the long wait is almost over! 42 days before we go!

12 comments:

Denise said...

Good for you for trying out those dumplings! I wouldn't have the patience to do it by myself. I'm so glad you put the recipe for the cookies on there - they were so, so good! It's a good thing Amara and I were eating those cookies on the way out your door or we would have been begging you for another one!

arnie&bekah said...

I love the travel approval, totally framable!! I can't believe it's only 42 more days!! I'm excited for you!

Marie said...

Gotta love the TA! It's the last piece to the puzzle. The dumplings and cookies look yummy. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to try making dumplings.

Colin and Jill Canada said...

Yumm and more yummy! Those dumplings look delicious.

Congratulations on TA!!!!!

I am confused though, why do you have to wait SO LONG to actually travel to get your beautiful girl? We recieved out TA and travelled a week later? Where there no consulate appointments or something?

Jill

Paige said...

There are huge fairs all of April and October in Gaungdong and there are four families in our group going there. The airfare is way higher, as well as the hotels, so we had to wait a month! This happened to us when we had to go get Lilah too, had to wait for May (went at the end) when we were ready to go in April!

Colin and Jill Canada said...

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that Paige. Those silly trade fairs!

I don't know why, but I guess I didn't relaize you were going back to Guangdong again! How great is that! I loved Guangzhou we have some wonderful memories from there, and I know you do too.

Jill

Paige said...

Actually, we are going to Sichuan, there are just 4 other families going to Gaungdong this time and FOI plans it trips around the groups needs, so the rest of us were affected by this... oh well, we will survive the wait!

Canada to China and back! said...

Yay for 42 days! Hope they go by in a flash! You'll have to do a post on all the cute little clothes you are buying :0) Are you taking Lilah with you? Is Abby able to come as well? I am getting so excited for you! If I could I would adopt 4 more!!! Somehow I don't think Howard would be on board!

Kim

The Drinkwaters said...

Good for you trying to make the dumplings. I must confess, I buy the Ling Ling pot stickers from Costco!

Paige said...

They were great, apparently not that fun to make but very tasty...tim

Don't get me started on the fingerklatski

Bianca said...

Thank you for your nice post! Congratulations on your TA, now everything is in place. I promiss you that I will try to get some info for you, and if I don't get anything, I will just share all my experiences.
Good luck with your last preparations.
Bye!

Mamá Gringa said...

Yay! So excited for you re: travel approval! I bet you will be ticking the days of the calendar until you fly out. I would be too!