Sunday, October 17, 2010

Opa and Oma

Isaiah 46:3b-4a I have created you and cared for you since you were born. I will be
your God through all your lifetime, Yes, even when your hair is white with age. I made you and I will care for you.”


DSC_0043

I was asked to take some photos of my grandparents. They are both such amazing people and have been such an influence on so many people in their eighty plus years on this earth.

DSC_0035

They are so deeply loved by their children and grandchildren and great grandchildren. There are so many great memories of the time spent with them.

DSC_0029

There is beauty in these hands. Even though my grandma has dementia, and has some good days and some bad days, she is loved and she is beautiful in her old age. The stories that she could tell are now gone...

DSC_0028

I think we, as her family, feel fairly protective over her now, almost like a parent is protective of a child. It breaks our heart to see her slowly slip away from us more and more. We are thankful that her body is healthy and that she isn't suffering that way.

DSC_0044

My Opa is extremely protective of her. He is her primary caretaker and it is not an easy job. But he loves her unconditionally. I took this photo because my Opa always has one hand in his pocket, jiggling the coins.

DSC_0048

How blessed my grandma is to have a husband like this. Who has mellowed over the years, who never complains, who just wants his wife's last days to be the best they can be.

Isaiah 46:4 (NIV) “Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain
you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.”

7 comments:

Colin and Jill Canada said...

Oh my, I teared reading this.

We start our life being looked after by our parents, then we look after our children, and then our children look after us.

What an amazing cycle life is.

These shots will be so SO precious in years to come. I love the ones of your Oma's and Opa's hands and the stories to go along with them. Both sets of hands have loved and cared for their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Lovely post.
Jill

myra said...

Beautiful Paige, just beautiful

Monica said...

Your family is going to absolutely treasure these photos forever. They are wonderful, Paige. I especially love the one of your Oma's hands and the one of your Opa with his hand in his pocket jiggling his change. Through your words and photographs, you really conveyed the profound love they share.

Dixie-Lee said...

What a wonderful tribute, Paige.

Denise said...

This is just wonderful, Paige.

Marie said...

I'm crying...beautiful pictures and memories! We are in a similar place, except with Martin's parents. The fall stage of life is fragile and precious and oh so bittersweet!

Canada to China and back! said...

I love the picture of your Opa jingling his change in his pocket. I think I love these pictures even more because each had a little story. Your Oma is very blessed to have your Opa, dementia is such a devastating disease for a family. These pictures will be treasures for your family!
Kim