Monday, November 8, 2010

We Have Zoe!

We are having a lot of trouble with accessing email, facebook and blogger. We can see facebook messages and our email though. So Denise -- I got your email! That is why there is such a delay in posts! I know everyone is waiting to see pictures of our day.

We got up very early to head to the airport to catch our 7:15am flight to Chengdu. The flight was just over two hours long. We had about 2 hours at our hotel to get settled before heading to the provincial adoption office to get Zoe. She had a four hour drive from Guang'an to meet us. The experience is so much different this time. We were in a general government office where other people were there getting marriage licenses, filing for divorce etc. She wasn't there when we got there.

She arrived shortly after with the Director of the SWI (I found out that her SWI has orphans, elderly people, homeless people and disabled people) and one of the nannies. She seemed to know who we were and seemed to have an idea of what was going on. She was very shy, but did not cry or fuss when they brought her to me. We gave her a doll, which she loves. The first 24 hours with her, we are only her guardians. The next day (today) is adoption day, when she is officially ours. She was scared and very serious.

She is fairly healthy and looks very well fed. She is one solid little girl! She has bites all over her body (likely bed bug bites) and bad eczema, but she loves helping rub Aveeno on herself. She will do anything we say. We dress her, she lets us. We give her a drink, she drinks. We feed her, she eats. She loves suckers and bread and cake, and even though she is from Sichuan (a spicy province) she does not like spicy food. She is left handed.

We haven't heard too much speech from her yet, a little bit here and there and she is quite quiet so far. She is not too sure of Tim yet, although at breakfast this morning she started to take food from him, yesterday she wouldn't. If he goes near her, she shrinks away from him, but I think it will only take her a few days to warm up to him. She does have fun with Lilah and so far they are playing well together. Zoe has even tried to copy a few things that Lilah has said.

Zoe has pretty good dextarity with her crayons and food, she goes to the bathroom when she needs to (with help), but in some ways she is a bit delayed (like most orphanage kids) but I am sure she will catch up. She is a typical orphanage child, who takes whatever comes her way, if you put her down, she is fine with it, if you pick her up, she is fine with it. I carry her around when we are outside, and everytime we head out the door, she gets a little nervous and holds on somewhat tight. She is content to be touched as well. She slept on a cot with Lilah right beside our bed and I stroked her hair and she grabbed my hand so I could rub hers.





















15 comments:

Denise said...

She is adorable! Glad to hear things are going smoothly so far. And I will fb you when I get more info on my end :)

The Denis Family said...

Yay Yay!!!! She is so sweet! A much different day than when you first met Lilah. The girls looks so sweet together!
Kim

Monica said...

Congratulations! Zoe is just so precious! So sweet to see Zoe with Lilah and mommy. Praying for you! Keep the posts coming.
Blessings,
Monica

Beth said...

So glad to see some news as I've been checking obsessively! Glad to hear you're all together now and settling in. I'm sure Lilah will be a great help making Zoe feel more comfortable. Take care. Blessings:)

Learning Together at Home said...

Zoe is incredibly sweet! I'm so thrilled to see that your first hours together were a great beginning. Have a great first few days together. Looking forward to updates. :)
Shelley

Shawna said...

She's gorgeous!

Monica said...

Congratulations! Zoe looks beautiful and healthy!

Thx so much for this post. I can't wait to hear more.

Joce and sometimes Shawn said...

So happy for you! Lilah looks so cute with Zoe. Hugs to you all.

Joce

Colin and Jill Canada said...

Awwww, she is simply beautiful. I have tears in my eyes, reading about you stroking her hair and holding her hand in bed - be still my heart.

She looks exactly as you describe her, shy and placid. I am sure she will open her heart soon and show you who she really is, althoug I wouldn't be surprised if she is generally just a placid easy going girl.

She's a real wee darling. Congratulations! What an amazing God we have!!

Praying for you all.
Jill

Bianca said...

Wow, I had tears in my eyes reading your post and seeing your pictures! What a gorgeous little girl, congratulations. It all sounds so similar to my experience two weeks ago! Enjoy your time in China together.
Bye,
Bianca

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Congratulations to your whole family! Zoe is absolutely adorable and I love seeing Lilah sitting beside her on the floor by the bed. Just precious to see sisters united. What a bond they will have. All the best. Looking forward to hearing more!
Carolyn and family

Dixie-Lee said...

I am so happy to see that others had the same tears that I did. I was sitting at my desk at work this morning, reading the blog, and the tears just rolled. Such a wonderful family and such a great opportunity for Lilah and Zoe.

Jednet said...

Congratulations. We are thinking of you all. Sounds like your little girl is shocked, but handling this transition with grace and courage.

Dawn Lesperance

Canada to China and back! said...

Yay! We have been praying for you all like crazy! She looks like she is very timid and sweet! Congrats!

Kim

Dawn - AB Family said...

Hurray!!
How wonderful :)
Both girls are so beautiful :)
Dawn