Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A conversation with Micah



Micah: Lilah, you are not Chinese anymore.

Me: Micah, Lilah will always be Chinese.

Micah: How do you know?

Me: Look at her.

Micah: It doesn't matter.

Me: You're right, it doesn't matter, we are a family.

Micah brought this up, out of the blue, at supper last night. My kids don't see race. People are just people and I guess now that she doesn't live in China, she isn't Chinese in his eyes. She is Canadian. And we are a family just the same.

4 comments:

Colin and Jill Canada said...

I love it. Now if only everyone could think like that, we'd be a better world.

Jill

Denise said...

That's so cute. That is one (of the many)things I love about our multiracial families - our bio kids realize kids are just kids and people are just people.

Marie said...

I think that is the definition of "real family"!

Jednet said...

I know this is an old post, but my computer wasn't showing me anything new. I've found that it's helped my kids to talk about the difference between 'race' and 'culture' when this subject has come up. Our kids will always be Chinese race and it is a very important part of their identity, but they are Canadian too because that is the culture they are raised in.