Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Favorite Books of 2010



I love this author. I have enjoyed all her books and this newest novel was my favorite yet. Her stories are fairly simple mysteries, easy to follow along and a good light (although long) read. Sometimes you just start a book and know that it is going to be good and well written from page one... and that is the case with this book.

"Hush... Can you hear him?

The trees can. They are the first to know that he is coming.

Listen! The trees of the deep, dark wood, shivering and jittering their leaves like papery hulls of beaten silver; the sly wind, snaking through their tops, whispering that it will soon begin.

The trees know, for they are old and they have seen it all before."


If you look this book up on Amazon you can read the first bit. I find this is a great way to see if a novel will be worth reading.



This book is a heavier and more difficult read. It is the story of a little black girl sold into slavery in the 1700's in Haiti. The story spans many decades and even though historical, it will make your heart ache for what the slaves went through for so many years at the hand of the white man.

"...he invited me to lose myself in the music, the way you do in a dream. Dance, dance, Zarité, the slave who dances is free...while he is dancing, he told me. I have always danced."



Another favorite author, who books are never a let down (Including Rush Home Road and The Girls). This novel is about a married and morbidly obese woman. I usually do not like "down in the dumps" type characters, but my heart went out to this character as she struggled with her weight, her husband leaving, her emotionless mother and her search for meaning in her very self-centered life. It is a little glimpse into the mind of someone with obseity.

5 comments:

Danae said...

Thank you so much for this...I've been in the mood for a really good read lately so this was perfect timing.

the meaklims said...

I like the sound of that first book. I rarely read now, (other than blogs - haha!!) but Colin bought John Grisham's newest novel, 'The Confession', while he was stranded in Heathrow airport, and I started reading it on the flight home - I couldn't put the book down. It's an excellent read.

I was thinking about you today too and wanted to ask you, have your started Project 365?

Oh and those latest pictures of Lilah on the swing. There was snow on the ground for about 12 days, then we woke up one morning and it was all gone, raining and +7 degrees. I wish Canada was like that!

Jill

Monica said...

I just finished reading the Distant Hours before Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it. I read her others this summer. Right now, I'm reading a riveting book by Diane Setterfield called the Thirteenth Tale that kind of reminds me of the Kate Morton books. Have you read it?

Thanks for the other recommendations! I'll be sure to look them up!

My favourite of the year was Room by Emma Donnahue. Have you read it? It sounds like it would be totally depressing and painful to read but it's not because of the narrator's age / innocence. It's absolutely fascinating - or at least, it was to me!

Paige said...

I have seen the Thirteenth Tale and wondered if it was good... I will have to get it! The other one I haven't heard of, but will look it up.

Thanks!

Canada to China and back! said...

I have been eyeing the first book, for months, everytime I go into Costco. I guess I will have to buy it :) Thanks for your book reviews I am always looking for something new.

Kim