Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Guang'an Social Welfare Institute



These are the only photos I have of the SWI that Zoe lived in. Bianca, from the Netherlands, adopted Zoe's best friend, one month before we adopted Zoe. She was given these photos. I often show Zoe Bianca's blog and she gets very excited to see Xiao Mei!



The SWI was built in 2009, up on a hill where the people who lived there, would be safer. We were told when we went that there was no way we would be allowed to visit on our adoption trip, but if we ever come back, we can apply one month before for permission to tour the facility. Someday we will do this. I believe it will tell us a lot about her first 3 1/2 years of life.

5 comments:

Marie said...

We wanted to visit the homes of both our girls, but were not allowed. I hope you will be able to visit the orphangae Zoe lived in...it will be amazing!

the meaklims said...

I don't know why, but i guess I didn't realize you didn't get to visit.

I know you will some day, and Zoe will appreciate it then too.

And your so right, it does help you appreciate their life before adoption. I love the colours of this facility, it does look very new and 'pretty'.

Jill

Denise said...

It's good to even see pictures, but I really hope you get to tour it someday. I'm sure it would answer a lot of questions!

Monica said...

We were not allowed to tour Maimie's SWI as few adoptions had occurred there to date and no westerners were allowed in. The few photos of the outside that I have are precious. We hope to try again when the girls are older and we return to show them their China homes. As a result, we were thrilled to tour a bit of Saidie's SWI. Special memories for all of us.

Canada to China and back! said...

Isn't that hard, not being able to go to the orphanage? It was for us. We also didn't get to meet Addy's foster family. And were told the same thing if we come back. I pray we do get back there! And I pray You and your family does as well.

Hugs,
Kim