Friday, February 25, 2011

Artisan Bread

DSC_0032-1

I saw this recipe on another blog and thought I would give it a try. We don't eat a lot of bread and I am not a great baker, but this bread is super easy and delicious.

6 cups of flour
1 tsp. yeast
2 1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups of water


(I use half white flour and half whole wheat flour)

Mix with fingers until dough pulls together into a rough ball. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 24 hours.

DSC_0020-4

Preheat your oven and clay pot to 500 degrees.

DSC_0025-5

There are many different baking methods for this bread, but the most common method is to bake the bread in a enclosed clay pot. You can also use pyrex, a roasting pan or a pizza stone with a tray of water placed beneath it. I wrapped my handle in foil because the plastic handle can smoke at this heat.

DSC_0024-3

Flour your counter top and pour dough onto top (it will be quite stringy). Gently fold the four edges underneath so it forms a round shape. Flour the top and cut some slits to make it look pretty. Place into your very hot pot (you need to line the bottom with parchment paper) and cover. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for 20 minutes more.

DSC_0034-1

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Shawna said...

That looks really yummy! (and easy to make)

The Drinkwaters said...

I'm on it, this will be my plan for Saturday's nap time. I love that you don't need to knead it. Thanks for sharing!

Shutterbug Scrapbooking and Stamping said...

I love making bread! Thanks for the new recipe Paige!

Denise said...

Yum. Even I could probably make that one! Thanks for sharing.

Marie said...

I will have to try it. I'm just now beginning to feel like cooking and experimenting with new recipes...it is somewhat of a hobby. PS. Love all the nifty dishes you use. Mine are mostly dated back to our wedding...scary! That's a long time ago!

the meaklims said...

I don't know how you say you are not a baker, because you always make yummy yummy baked goodies - including fantastic birthday cakes and I remember another post about a (mennonite?) kinda sweet bread which looked incredibly delicious.

I love love love fresh baked bread. But I'm not willing to buy a bread machine. Maybe this is a good alternative! You make it sound so easy! And it looks delicious.

Jill

Canada to China and back! said...

Yum-o! That looks like all kinds of comfort to me!


Kim