Monday, February 7, 2011

Medical Update

DSC_0010-3

Today, Zoe went to for her first appointment at the Cleft Clinic. We saw the plastic surgeon and then the dentist. The surgeon was impressed with the work that had been done in China and said that other than speech therapy and a bone graft in the gums (at age 6 or 7) there won't be much else to do. If her appearance bothers her, they can do some cosmetic work when she is a preteen to fix the lip slightly and the nose slightly. Zoe will be seeing the speech pathologist March 14th, as well having her hearing tested.

She will need some dental work as well, which may start at age six or seven. But overall, the dentist thought things looked pretty good.

We also found out that Lilah's first procedure will be on March 17th. It will be a day surgery to implant a tissue expander under her right eye. They will leave this in for two to three months and if all goes okay, we will have Tim fill it at home, so that we don't have to run back and forth. It is hard to know exactly how long it will be in, it just depends on how everything goes. I am not sure what to expect. How it will look... how uncomfortable she will be... if it will affect wearing her glasses... I plan to stay very close to home during this time so that people don't stare even more than they usually do.

DSC_0005-2

When they feel the skin is stretched enough to form a new lower lid they will do one or two more operations, where the craniofacial plastic surgeon will build up the bone, the pediatric plastic surgeon will fix the soft tissue and the opthamologist will fix the eye. I am hoping it will be done in one surgery, but depending on how it goes, they may have to take her in for some additional fix ups.

I am dreading this. I am also glad that it is finally in the process, I know that it will make a huge difference in her appearance, which is important as she will be starting preschool in the Fall.

DSC_0008-1

This is her before photo. When I photograph her, I usually try to camouflage the right side as much a possible. But this is who she is right now and I am curious to see the after photos.

Can you tell she has a cold?!

15 comments:

Jody said...

We will be praying for her and you!! The surgeries don't sound like they're any fun.

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Paige, your daughters are absolutely beautiful! I love how you photograph them and really capture their natural beauty. I also appreciate how honest you are about Lilah's appearance and how that may affect her when she starts preschool. I hope you keep us updated as things unfold.

the meaklims said...

You have two absolutely gorgeous girls.

That's great news for Zoe.

Lilah has a long road ahead of her, but I know you'll help her through it, Paige, because you are an awesome Mum.

Praying for Lilah.

Jill

Aaron and Erica said...

I'll be praying for you guys over the next few months. Thanks for letting us know what is coming up. Both of your girls are beautiful blessings!

Denise said...

When you get tired of sitting at home, just come to my house lots when Lilah has the expanders in - we'll have fun.

Monica said...

I know what you mean about dreading the surgeries but being glad at the same time that they are about to begin. I pray that Lilah won't be too uncomfortable during the next few months. The work that is planned sounds amazing. I'll be very excited to see Lilah's after photos too but I also agree with you and your other readers: she is already a beauty.

Thx also for the update on Zoe. Yay! So happy to hear the good news!

Monica said...

I know what you mean about dreading the surgeries but being glad at the same time that they are about to begin. I pray that Lilah won't be too uncomfortable during the next few months. The work that is planned sounds amazing. I'll be very excited to see Lilah's after photos too but I also agree with you and your other readers: she is already a beauty.

Thx also for the update on Zoe. Yay! So happy to hear the good news!

Patrick and Christina said...

Paige,

There is such a deep honesty and understanding in these photograph's! You certainly have captured the natural beauty of both of your daughters in these pictures. All I can think of when I see Lilah's picture is that we are all made in God's image. She is particularly beautiful in this one. We will be praying for Lilah as she prepares for surgery. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Karrie said...

She is such a beautiful, precious little girl.
Praying for speedy recovery with your sweet girl and for peace in Momma's heart through all this.

Karrie

Marie said...

I was just wondering if I should email you to see where things were at with Lilah's surgeries...thanks for the update. I can only imagine how overwhelming it must be. How fortunate you are to have a plastic surgeon in the home...hopefully that will make things a little easier. You are a strong woman and God knew what he was doing when he picked you to be Lilah and Zoe's mommy and I have no doubt that you will come through this with flying colors! I will continue to pray...God bless!

The Drinkwaters said...

Hi Paige,

You have two BEAUTIFUL girls!

I am so glad that Lilah with have you, Tim and the rest of your family helping her out during these next few months as Lilah undergoes these procedures.

On a side note - how lucky to have a "doctor in the house". I would have really appreciated one these past couple of weeks!

Danae said...

What wonderfully beautiful girls you have...and what great news for Zoe!

Any medical procedures on our little ones are hard on the mama. I have Lilah’s name written in my prayer journal for March 17th.

Many Blessings-
Danae

Canada to China and back! said...

I know I don't "know" your family Paige, however I feel like I do know you all! And I love your sweet Lilah, I can only imagine how apprehensive you are to get this all started! Yet excited at the same time! I think the before picture of Lilah is beautiful You can see what a littl muffin she is. I will be praying for your family and your sweet Lilah!

Kim

Monica said...

Great news that things look good for Zoe. Praying for you and Lilah as the surgeries start. Your girlies are both so lovely. One of the verses that God laid on my heart as we were making decisions about adopting our daughters was I Samuel 16:7. "Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart". I wish we all could look on others the way the Lord looks at us.

Bonnie Brentnall said...

Paige,
My heart was up in my throat reading this post. I had been wondering. This will be tough but you will come through. Lilah is beautiful. My four boys still speak of how cute little Lilah was, especially Joshua. Her spirit is amazing. Zoe looks like she has the same path as our little Jane, exactly in fact.Keep us posted as we will be thinking of you often.