Friday, February 18, 2011

What I am reading

DSC_0002-4

The Tenth Gift was by far my favorite book in a long time. We have all heard about the abduction of slaves in Africa. But around the same time many people were abducted from Europe by Middle Eastern Pirates, to be sold as slaves in Morocco and this is the story of one such person. The Tenth Gift has the same feel as the books that I love by Kate Morton. There is a modern day character (a rather annoying one!) who finds diary notes jotted down in an old embroidery book that was given to her as a gift by her ex lover, and she begins to put the story of this girl together.

Cool Water was another very good read. Written by a Canadian author, the story takes place in small town Saskatchewan and has many different characters. I could relate to it, since I have lived in small town Saskatchewan and I felt that it portrayed that lifestyle well. I could understand the characters well, the way that you grow up in one place and know nothing else and kind of get stuck there. It is kind of fun to read a book, where a character will talk about the Canadian Finals Rodeo that they went to as a kid in Edmonton (where I live), or a weekend trip to Medicine Hat (where I went to High School) or Swift Current.



I have been trying to decide if I would like reading e books on my i pad. I LOVE books. I LOVE holding a book in my hands. I LOVE turning the pages. I LOVE the smell, the feel and the look of a book. But how convenient to have my library all in one place, without clutter. I think in the long run, this is the way that books will be read. In the same way that video stores are going bankrupt, book stores may be headed in the same direction. And it is environmentally friendly, right?

I decided to read The Thirteenth Tale on my i pad. I wanted my first e read to be a really good one. And it is. And I am not minding reading it this way. My only issue is that with such a great book... I cannot share it or pass it on. And the book still costs about $15.00. Not such a great bargain, when it is only me reading it. If they came up with a way to share books, I might be more convinced. At this point, I will likely still purchase "real" books, but every once and awhile, if I can get a good deal, I may be tempted to read on my i pad.



On to The Thirteenth Tale... if you have read any of the Kate Morton books that I have recommended, and liked them, or if you have read The Tenth Gift, and liked it, you will love this book as well.

9 comments:

Marie said...

Love the first picture. I just took one like that of all the books in Alex's room and have been waiting to share it until I can do an entire "Alex" blog.

Tina Michelle said...

Neat, I will have to check out some of those books. Thanks for sharing.

The Drinkwaters said...

I love reading books on the iPad. I have to figure out hpw to sync my iphone to it so when I am waiting at different appointments I can pick up where I left off.

I am investigating "borrowing" books from the public library using my Kindle app, but there is such a long wait list at the library for the books.

Thanks for the book suggestions. I just finished reading "Infidel" as well as "Beautiful Girls" by Lisa See.

the meaklims said...

You are such a bookworm Paige. I really should read more than I do.

Anyway, I know what you mean about the smell of a new book. And I personally like a change from the glare of the screen. But then again, I don't have an ipad. If I did, maybe I would change my mind! :)

Cool water sounds interesting. I too enjoy books that I can relate to, especially geographically.

Have a great weekend!
Jill

Denise said...

I love reading your book reviews - so many authors I've never heard of! Can I just come to your house to borrow the books instead of going to the library? :)

Canada to China and back! said...

I just got a Kobo.....and love it! I probably read 2 books a week so that ends up being a large pile at the end of the year!

I have been on the fence with the Kate Morton books, however I will have to purchase them next :) Thanks for the great suggestions!

Happy Reading,
Kim

Charlotte said...

It will be a few years yet before 'real' books become dinosaurs, but it will happen. If you keep the paper version, you will have antiques before long. If electronics suffer a major tragedy, hmmm...perhaps back to actually telling stories person to person. Stories will always be.
You are an inspiration to many. I'm guessing one day you too will become an author.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the Tenth Gift too. I'm glad you are enjoying the Thirteenth Tale. I'll have to check out the others you mentioned!

Oh, have you read "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova? It's told from the perspective of a woman who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. It's outstanding. I'm reading another novel by her now "Left Neglected". It's good but not nearly as good as Still Alice.

I read books almost exclusively on my Kindle now (for the past year). I'm not a good library person so I used to always buy books and my shelves were overflowing beyond belief (even when I had several books out with friends). I do miss the sharing aspect of books but I'm checking into a lending club and will probably try that soon (Amazon has authorized lending).

Monica said...

Oops - "anonymous" was me.

Monica