Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lilah's First Fill

Today, Lilah had her first saline fill in her tissue expander. She finds it quite exciting that she has a special balloon in her face. I explained that we needed to go and have it filled a little bit, without telling how it would be done (a giant needle). She didn't even notice the needle and asked me after if the doctor had blown in her balloon to make it grow.

day one

Day 21

You can see in this next photo, the little dimple by her ear, the preauricular sinus. It is difficult to capture the true size of the expander in a photo, but you could see the skin expand immediately when the doctor filled it.

Lilah only cried briefly and was fine very quickly. She seems to have a high tolerance for pain. And treats after are a good thing!

DSC_0005-7

This is an example of what a tissue expander looks like... the tube runs back behind her ear and is completely under her skin (less chance of infection) which means that every fill is getting a needle!

tissue-expander-1

They are hoping to do a fill once a week of 10 cc's of saline each time. There is only 20 cc's in there right now and they want to get up to 60 cc's! Hopefully, it will all go well and she will tolerate it fine and we can be done with this part in 4 more weeks. As soon as the skin is expanded enough, they will do her surgery.

DSC_0003-9

12 comments:

Ellie said...

Thank God for Lilah's high pain tolerance!! That precious Lilah of yours is amazing - I can't imagine having to go through all that she is.

These are great photos - and I know Lilah will love to look back at them often to see all she went through!

xo ellie

Patrick and Christina said...

Lilah is such a little trooper! God bless her.

So thankful that you are posting Lilah's journey it will be great for Lilah to look back on, but I just know this will bless another family too.

Christine said...

I have been enjoying your blog and watching your family grow. I do hope that others will open their hearts to such wonderful children, like you have (me too).

Lilah is just precious!

Thank you for sharing these photographs. All your children are gorgeous :)

Christine Clark

The Denis Family said...

great photos. That girl has beautiful skin coloring! I agree that these photos will be so good for Lilah to look back at one day as all this is forgotten. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

the meaklims said...

Aww, what a sweetie, her little cheek looks so swollen. She is an amazing girl. I just want to hug her.

The medical world is so incredible these days. I know your blog is going to reach other families.

Praying for her, and her amazing little spirit.

Jill

Chic Homeschool Mama said...

Wow- I find it so incredible what they are able to do medically these days! Amazing.

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Way to go, Lilah! Here's hoping each time goes just as smoothly as the first!
Carolyn

Danae said...

She is such an amazingly strong little gal. I will be sure to cover her in prayer for the next few weeks. Thank you so much for sharing Lilah’s journey.

Marie said...

What a trooper! That's a lot of filler to put into that little cheek. She's just as adorable as ever!

The Drinkwaters said...

She is such a brave little girl. I guess the treats help too! We will be thinking of Lilah in the upcoming weeks...

Valerie and Jeff said...

I just hopped over her from NHBO--Lilah is such a trooper! I can only imagine the discomfort/pain of having facial skin stretched! (I remember belly skin of pregnancy and how that was, ack!) She will be thankful for having gone through this now while she is young. You can of course already see the sweetness and spunk in her--but what a blessing that doctors will be able to mend her cleft so ALL can see her for ALL that she is! I cannot wait to celebrate the final step and just rejoice in how she will be able to look back at these photos as a memory and look forward to so very much!
Blessings,
Valerie

Monica said...

Lilah sounds like such a toughie! Maybe it's a Guangdong attribute: Ren's such a trooper too. And good thing for both of them!

I can't imagine how they will be able to go up to 60 ccs ... I hope it continues to be bearable for all of you.

And good for you for documenting her medical journey so well. In addition to helping others considering adopting kids with the same or similar conditions, I imagine Lilah may be curious one day about the process. And of course, as a friend, it's just nice to be kept in the loop :)