Monday, May 30, 2011

A Bit About Josiah

249221_10150263250376830_513306829_9292195_4900470_n

Josiah spends every Sunday evening volunteering his time at The Mosaic Centre. The Mosaic Centre is a place for people to go for a hot meal, a conversation, access to the Internet and fellowship.

Our friends Arnie and Rebekah have taken Josiah under their wing and have become mentors to him, and I am so thankful to them for doing this! I love that he has found somewhere to give back. Josiah is very sensitive, has a huge heart and much compassion for others. He is seeing things here that most kids don't see or even know exist. Josiah helps out wherever he can. He helps in the kitchen, he plays games with people, he helps people on the computer.

I believe this experience is shaping Josiah to become an amazing man. A couple of weeks ago, Josiah and Arnie hit the streets looking for children to invite for a Kid's Night, these are some of the kids that they found. He said it was the best night yet and they had so much fun!

250347_10150263250216830_513306829_9292192_4994549_n

"But the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish." Psalm 9:18

I have been thinking lately about how blessed we are when we feel so strongly called to do something by God, that we can only obey, and because of that obedience we are abundantly blessed.

This is a prayer for each of my children... that they will find their calling and be blessed for it.


Romans 12:3-16

3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

8 comments:

Marie said...

I love the quote from Romans...one of my favorites. What a handsome, compassionate young man Josiah is growing to be! I pray the same thing for my kids and can't wait to see where God takes them!

Canada to China and back! said...

Great post Paige! What an amazing young man Josiah is!!! Such a wonderful way for him to serve.

Kim

Denise said...

So amazing that he can do this under the protective wings of Becka and Arnie. What a great growing up experience for him to do this and who knows how it will change his life? I just love it :)

arnie&bekah said...

Jo is amazing! He must have amazing parents or something!!
I am constantly inspired by his compassion. I am not sure I have ever met a young guy to actually care about people as much as he does. I honestly think he will see and be a part of crazy things in this life!!! He has no judgement on people just love for them, even the old drunk man trying to play games with him, to the sweet innocent children who are in need of some love!

Danae said...

Compassionate teen boys are hard to find…what a blessing he is. And what a blessing to you as mama to see how God is using Josiah to bless & love others.

I just re-read my comment and realized I used blessing a lot in this comment; apparently the word of the day for me is blessing:)

Patrick and Christina said...

It is a blessing to read this post. I have met so many lost teens. To read about one that is serving from the heart is amazing! I also love that Josiah has amazing mentors. That is so important for his growth and protection....plus one amazing Mom who just knows how to bless her children!

Love the photo's of Josiah with the kids! Looks like everyone had fun!

Ellie said...

Wow, what an amazing boy Josiah is! I am inspired and challenged by his compassion!

xo ellie

the meaklims said...

I pray for a child like this - compassionate, loving, thankful and giving...
I guess I'm the one that needs to live like that.

I can tell you're proud, I would be too. You should also be proud of yourself. Because he has learned this from you.

Jill