Saturday, June 11, 2011

Forty Years

DSC_0097

June 5th marked forty years of marriage for my parents. And what amazing parents they are. They have taught me so much about relationships, God and family. My mom and I are very similar, which is slightly scary!

DSC_0092

My parents have an amazing story. The were high school sweethearts, started dating at the age of 15. My mom came from a very traditional and strict Mennonite family, my dad came from a very different type of family, and these brothers were known as being quite wild. My mom's family did not approve, but my dad saw something in her family that he knew was different, something that he wanted.

DSC_0116

My mom got pregnant with me at the age of 19 and they got married. Three years later, my dad became a Christian and his life completely changed. He gave up a job he loved and a brand new house and they moved us to a Bible School, where we lived in an old airplane hanger, so that my dad could become a pastor. Being a pastor is never easy and even though my dad loved the job, it was the people who made it continually difficult. My mom worked hard as well, through out these years to help out financially.

DSC_0096

Every decision they made was for our family and was always in obedience to God's calling. It hasn't been easy. But now they are settled and they have two daughters who love and admire them both and so appreciate everything they ever gave and taught us.

DSC_0130

I find it amazing how one persons choices in life can affect generations to come.

We are so blessed to have them as parents, and as grandparents to our children.

5 comments:

Mrs C said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this with us :)
What a great example these parents are x

Marie said...

What a beautiful story! The pictures of your parents are adorable! Seeing as you are a lot like your mother...well, you will not need to worry one little bit about how you will age...she is gorgeous!!!

the meaklims said...

What an incredible story Paige.

Do you know what I love most about this story... Nowadays, when a couple faces difficulties, they end up going their seperate ways because of the stress and whatever. But years ago, couples only became stronger because of hardships and difficulties. The love they have together is so obvious. Parents did everything to support their children, not wanting to see them suffer, we live in such a selfish world nowdays, a world that only looks out for 'self'.

Sometimes I wonder how do I teach my child to be more giving, more considerate, more loyal, but really, it's only by example and teaching them the Gospel.

What an amazing example they set for you. Kudos to them.

Jill

Patrick and Christina said...

I love your parents love story! Look at what a beautiful thing that happened as a result of their obedience to God's calling. Thank you for sharing this with us, it is truly inspiring.

I love the happy ending...that last picture with so many beautiful grandkids! Blessing to all!

Monica said...

Happy belated anniversary to your parents!

What a beautiful love story. Your photos really show the love and respect they have for one another.