Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Medicine Hat

DSC_0036_2

DSC_0031

DSC_0032

DSC_0030

Medicine Hat is a small City in the south part of the Alberta prairies. Even though I haven't lived there for 20 years now, it still feels like I am going home. My parents are there and it feels comfortable.

It is where Tim and I met and got married.

We both commented while driving how there is a particular smell that reminds us of our youth. That hot, harvest, evening prairie smell.

echo dale 3

We went for a picnic to a beautiful park called Echo Dale and walked around the little farm there.

IMG_2143

This area has a unique landscape. It edges onto the Badlands and has many beautiful coulees. It is warmer than any other part of the province and has a desert feel, along with rattlesnakes.

echo dale

echo dale 2

IMG_2142

The kids love spending time at Grandpa and Grandma's and I love spending time in their beautiful backyard.

zoe

DSC_0009_2

"The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned." -- Maya Angelou

7 comments:

Marie said...

I so know what you mean about smells reminding you of days gone by. We started dating in fall and every fall the smells take me back...

There is nothing better than going "home". There is something comforting and soft about it...I think it is called love...

Monica said...

Gorgeous place and your photos are amazing as always.

Dixie-Lee said...

Brings back fond memories of my "growing up years" as well. Thank you.

Beth said...

Pics are wonderful. I didn't realize your parents were there. James' live in Brooks and often go into 'the hat'. The farm is beautiful although it was hard to concentrate after the rattlesnake mention! I love Zoe's romper.

The Drinkwaters said...

What beautiful pictures! It sounds as if what Dorothy said is true "There's no place like home!"

Denise said...

beautiful pics as always, paige. i love the one of the outhouse... you gotta love boys ;)

the meaklims said...

I don't know how I missed this post! These pictures are so stunning Paige, there is something wonderful and familiar about home, isn't there?

Jill