Monday, November 28, 2011

Book Review: {Shield}



This e book is written by an adoption advocate that lives in my city. She has seven children, some bio, some by the foster to adopt program and some through international adoption.

I believe this book is a MUST READ for anyone entering into adoption for the first time. Sharla gives much practical advice to prepare for the changes ahead. It is also a great book to read if you are entering adoption for a second, third, fourth time! It has some great pointers to preparing your home and mind for a new child. It talks a lot about self-care, which seems to keep coming up in my life lately. And as selfish as putting yourself first can seem, you really cannot take care of a child, or children, or even your spouse, if you don't take care of yourself first.

You can buy the book here.

6 comments:

the meaklims said...

I'm away to buy it...

The Drinkwaters said...

I keep thinking about self care too, and I am relating it to the drill they give you on the airplane - parents need to put the air mask on first BEFORE putting it on their child. So I am *trying* to make sure to put my air mask on first, at least every once in awhile! ;)

Off to go check out Sharla's book.

Patrick and Christina said...

Just purchased the book. What good advice.

Thinking you are part Angel! ...So needed this information.

Denise said...

It's a great book! I'm so glad you enjoyed it enough to promote it. I had to chuckle at 'The Drinkwaters" comment as that is exactly the example that Sharla uses in this book!

Marie said...

Just heard about this book a few days ago. It sounds like a "must read". It is interesting that self care is mentioned...again...our speaker at our support group meeting emphasized that as well and I was thinking our next event would be for mamas only!

Ellie said...

THANK YOU for sharing about this and about taking care of yourself during this process. sometimes it can be so lonely!!!

I love the photos of Tim's China trip and of Zoe in the snow! she is such a doll!

I can't believe you have such cold weather!!!

xo ellie