Sunday, November 6, 2011

Orphan Sunday

Today is orphan Sunday.

Think about this, it is estimated there are between 143 million and 210 million orphans worldwide (recent UNICEF report.)

Only 4 % of boys over the age of 4 years will find a family.

Every day 5,760 more children become orphans.

Approximately 250,000 children are adopted annually, but…

Each year 14, 505, 000 children grow up as orphans and age out of the system by age sixteen.

Each day 38,493 orphans age out.

Every 2.2 seconds another orphan ages out with no family to belong to and no place to call home.

In Russia and the Ukraine, studies have shown that 10% – 15% of these children commit suicide before they reach age eighteen.

Studies also show that 60% of the girls become prostitutes and 70% of the boys become hardened criminals

Another Russian study reported that of the 15,000 orphans aging out of state-run institutions every year, 10% committed suicide, 5,000 were unemployed, 6,000 were homeless and 3,000 were in prison within three years…

It frustrates me to hear these statistics. It frustrates me that I CONSTANTLY get comments about how people would love to adopt, but then they come up with excuses. I know not everyone is meant to adopt, but I know that more people are called to adopt, then do. When you obey God's calling... he will bless abundantly.

Job 36:11
“If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in contentment.”

Romans 8:28
“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

6 comments:

Marie said...

Well said! I hear your frustration about excuses, as we hear those all the time as well. I have come to the conclusion that whoever can afford a new vehicle can afford adoption...mos vehicles cost about the same or even more than an adoption...and most of us can afford a new vehicle. Lately, I have really felt the need to pray for Christians to put their beliefs into action(and that includes me!)

arnie&bekah said...

It really is heart breaking... Whenever I hear and read about the situation in the world, I get so sad... for many reasons really. Most of all I just don't understand how we have been willing to adopt and longing to adopt for almost four years now, I just don't understand why it has to take so long considering the devastation of the wold, I guess that is one of those things I will never have an answer to!

Canada to China and back! said...

Oh Paige! Such a great post! I have been heartbroken & sick about the statistics lately:(

We up here in GP are praying about what God would have us do....we will see:-)

Hugs and love to you all,we will be back in Edmonton in early December, I will facebook you & see if you are around.
Kim

the meaklims said...

I know what you mean, our children are such a HUGE blessing to us, it's hard for us to think that someone else wouldn't want this blessing, called adoption.

It's pretty much like salvation, and our adoption into God's family. Like really, who wouldn't want that??! It is the greatest blessing in life.

Jill

Patrick and Christina said...

Those are seriously powerful statistics! I am blown away by the numbers.

I too wish more people would choose adoption it is such a BLESSING!

Hope all is well with you while Tim is away...can't wait til' Patrick returns!

Jireh-Shaddai said...

Really impressioned, thanks for share it!! I think adoption is a blessing, yes, i was thinking about study Social work with children. I hope God show more people His plan to help people like you do. Great family, you're an example!! :) Greetings and a hug from Spain blessings