Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ventura, California

DSC_0023

DSC_0035

We spent a lot of time at the Ventura Pier on our trip to California. There is nothing quite so peaceful or powerful as the ocean. We loved watching the surfers and the fishermen. The pier was built in 1872 and is the longest wooden structure in California.

DSC_0042

sunset ca

DSC_0055

We also drove downtown to see the San Buenaventura Mission. I love anything to do with religion and architecture and the history of it all. There was a latin mass going on when we arrived, so we didn't get to tour the inside of the church, other than to walk through it.

DSC_0054_2

DSC_0050

DSC_0053

“Siempre Adelante”
“Always Forward”
(Motto of Fray Junipero Serra)

Guided by the Holy Spirit, Mission San Buenaventura is a parish rich in Catholic heritage called to "go forward" in worship to spread God's Word through compassionate service. Acknowledging diversity in cultures, life experiences and individual talents, we commit ourselves to building unity in our community of faith.

Parish goals:
Developing Leadership
Deepening Spirituality
Evangelization


DSC_0047

DSC_0049

DSC_0052_2

6 comments:

Marie said...

I would have spent a lot of time on the pier as well. I love the ocean. It offers a serenity that can not be found anywhere else.
I love the little signs at the church and the olive press. It shouts of all things history.

arnie&bekah said...

SO beautiful!! WHat are a good weekend!!

the meaklims said...

I love that pier, so incredible!

And that verse on the olive press, only one life twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last - I need to live more by this.

Jill

Denise said...

I LOVE that quote on the olive press - I'd like one like that in my house... a great reminder.

Danae said...

Paige, I love it when you post about your travels. I feel as if I'm reading Conde' Nast! Your photos and the history and information you provide about the location is always very beautiful.

Chic Homeschool Mama said...

Oh the beaches of SoCal- you have captured so beautifully everything I miss about home