Saturday, April 21, 2012

Focus on the Family

Focus on the Family is beginning a new program to encourage churches to adopt or foster orphans, support orphans and offer support to adoptive and fostering families. They are hosting a conference in May that looks wonderful, and if I wasn't in China at that time I would have loved to go. If you are someone who wants to adopt, get involved in caring for orphans or starting up an adoption ministry in your church, this may be the conference for you.

Focus on the Family has many wonderful books regarding adoption. The latest two I have read are:



This is a great read for anyone who is thinking of adopting, in the process of adopting or already has their child home. It covers a lot of different topics including attachment, discipline, integration and nurture and past abuse. It has many little short stories of families who have dealt with these issues. I have found then when you are are adopting internationally, you have to take courses and you are led to many adoption related books to study before you bring your child home. I have also found that if you are entering foster care or foster to adopt you get absolutely none of this. I have encountered a few families lately that are struggling because there is no support or guidance in the issues they are suddenly facing.



This is one families story about adopting from the foster care system. The many legal issues they encountered, the issues regarding adopting children who have been shuffled around from home to home. This book is very honest. But through the struggles and hurt, this family has been blessed by adoption.

This is my favourite "gotcha day" video. I love how it portrays the integration of an adoptive family. Of course, it isn't always quite this wonderful, adoption is hard and all children (and mothers) have their off days. But adoption is a huge blessing and these additions to our families are huge blessings! When you have biological children and enter into adoption, it really is a family effort. I love the part where the mother is sitting on her sofa just watching all her children and her husband... I can relate to this moment of awe... It probably doesn't help that I am less then two weeks away from getting Silas... I know these emotions and how powerful they are!

6 comments:

the meaklims said...

That movie was incredible - pure raw love.

Jill

The Drinkwaters said...

The movie....now my throat is raw...

Tim Riegel said...

wow...

Patrick and Christina said...

Beautiful, powerful...can hardly see through my blearly eyes...Wow is right!

Monica said...

Love, love, love! Grateful to be called to adoption.

Marie said...

I've been eyeing that conference for awhile, but it is unlikely I will be able to go. :(
The video is very touching...so makes me want to do it all again!