Saturday, December 22, 2012

Book Reviews

DSC_0004

I have had a few people asking for book reviews, so here is some of what I have been reading and which books I have enjoyed lately.

419 by Will Ferguson

Loved it! I know others who couldn't get through it or who were finding this book a bit long winded, but I couldn't put it down. It is very well written, although can be a bit confusing with the many characters and the going between past and present.

419 refers to the famous internet scam where someone in Nigeria needs our help getting their money (or someone else's money) out of the country and if we do this good deed we will get a cut of that money. This book is based on that scam. On the families it affects, on the people that run the scam and why, on what life is like in Nigeria and just how deeply this scam runs.

The characters are all fictional and although you may wonder how it will all come together, in the end, it does all connect. The good and evil, those who stay caught up in this corrupt world, those who can't get out even though they want too... and those who overcome and prevail.

This is a book that husbands would enjoy as well. And I love that this is a Canadian author and part of the story takes place in Calgary, Alberta.

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

This is one of my favourite authors and this was probably my favourite book of hers yet. They are always engaging and I can never put them down! I love any books that have something to do with WWII and this is one of those books.

Dorothy is a famous actress who's mother is dying. As she spends time with her mother in her last days, Dorothy wants answers to the things that she saw in the past, who was the strange man that appeared at their house one day, why did her mother argue with him and why did her mother kill him? Who is this Vivian that her mother mumbles about? How is she connected to the story? It all comes together in one shocking conclusion.

Citadel by Kate Mosse

This book takes us to the southern part of France again during WWII. It is the story of a group of woman who lead a resistance group called Citadel. The leader of this undercover network is Sandrine, who meets three different men and she has to decide who is trustworthy, who is an enemy... this story of brave woman who fight against the Nazi regimen, giving up everything to do so, also coincides with the story of a secret codex, meant to be destroyed ages ago, that is now searched for once more.

I am still reading this book, but already know it will be another top favourite for this year. It is 680 pages, so if your like me, there is nothing like an amazing fat book in your hands to bring you joy!


In the Orchard, the Swallows by Peter Hobbs

So beautiful. A book so well written, you feel like you are right in Pakistan. Smelling the smells, feeling the air, seeing what the main character is seeing. I love books like this. I love when you can open a book and the very first paragraph pulls you in completely.

This is the story of a young man in love with the wrong girl. How over years and distance he longs for her and how he waits for her to come back to him.

This book is 138 pages long and I read it in a couple of hours. But this just may be my highest rated book of the year.


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

A thriller of a book. It can be a bit crude in parts, so if you don't like that you may not want to read it. When I started this book, it took awhile for me to get into it and I almost thought I hated it. But as I continued reading, I again could not put it down. It will draw you in completely.

On Nick and Amy's fifth wedding anniversary, Amy suddenly disappears. As usual, the husband is always the first suspect. The mystery of what happened to Amy slowly unravels as we learn more about Nick, more about their marriage, and more about Amy through her diaries.

You're Already Amazing by Holley Gerth

This is not fictional. Every once and awhile I try to read a book to better myself or learn more about myself. I had read great reviews of this book. Maybe it would help others who struggle... but for me I found it just more of a reassuring book. That God already thinks I am amazing as I am, that He has a plan for me, I just have to listen. That I don't have to be MORE. Have MORE. Do MORE.

2 comments:

the meaklims said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I love the sound of Gone Girl! Thanks Paige!

Melanie said...

I love reading your book reviews!