Monday, January 21, 2013

Sauerkraut and Kniphla

DSC_0103

This is my version of this old, traditional, German recipe. Even the spelling of Kniphla is my own version.

This is a recipe from Tim's Grandma Kusler. I have adapted it to our own tastes, we like to add more meat and fat to our meals!

This was a favourite meal of Tim's when he was growing up and it is now a favourite at our house as well. It can take a bit of time, which is why it is often a meal the kids get on their birthdays. It is also not a healthy meal, which is why we don't eat it on a regular basis... but it is oh, so, good!

Knipfla: (Noodles)

1 1/2 cups of white flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg mixed into 1 cup of water

Mix together, add more flour as needed. Roll out on floured surface to 1/4" thick. Slice into thin and short strips.

DSC_0101

Boil in a large pot of salted water. These noodles will double in size and float to the top when done.

In a large frying pan saute five sausage links in olive oil (I use Italian sausage) and then set aside.

Add 1/4 cup of butter to the frying pan and sauté:

1 medium onion, chopped
1 package of bacon, chopped

Once this is cooked, slice the cooked sausage and add it to the pan. Season with salt and pepper.

Add cooked pasta to the pan and fry until golden. Add more butter if you like!

Add 1 can of sauerkraut and mix together.

Mix in 1/2 cup of seasoned bread crumbs.

Enjoy!

DSC_0104

8 comments:

the meaklims said...

This is a MUST try! YUM! Thanks for sharing!

Marie said...

That sounds delicious! I had never heard of this meal before. Will certainly be trying it in the near future.

Marie said...

You said you use Italian sausage...is that what would have been used in the original recipe or would the sausge have been more along the line of a Mennonite Farmer sausage?

Beth said...

Oh ok, I understand now. Sounds like somewhat the same dough for spaetzle but in a different form. I'm a bad German - sauerkraut not my favourite thing - and there's not many foods I don't like!! But it does sound quite appetizing if I can live with the sauerkraut:)

Beth said...

OK, I read again, the dough ingredients are actually not the same. I think the spaetzle are mostly just flour and egg.

Paige said...

Beth -- you can leave the sauerkraut out and put it on the side for those who do like it!

Marie -- You can use whatever type of sausage you like. I use Italian because I like it a bit more spicy, but mennonite would work too. I don't know what kind would have been used, typically is was only bacon OR sausage, not both. It is a german recipe, not mennonite.

Dixie-Lee said...

oh this brings back such fond memories and makes me very hungry for this again. Will have to make myself some I guess :) :)

The Drinkwaters said...

That looks and sounds decadent. The recipe is very similar to the homemade noodles my German grandparents made and sauteed with potatoes and onions.